- We have 3 tour dates to chose from we may add more depending on interest. (fill out the preliminary application form here (make sure to put the email you check, that’s how I will get in contact with you for the phone interview) as soon as possible to be eligible for acceptance into the program, filling out the application doesn’t mean you have to go it’s just to make sure you qualify and to get more information.)
- According to interest we will add more dates so if none of these work fill out the preliminary application and let me know what dates would work for you.
- 15-20 people in your group? You can chose your own dates and customize your tour projects no extra cost
- Everyone needs to fill out the preliminary application form as soon as possible if interested
- We are doing an optional trip up to North India to see the Taj Mahal July 24-30 which will be between$300-400 as an optional side trip.
If you sign up by:
- May 1: Cost is $1200
*See how Cost is split up below. After filling out the preliminary application if you are accepted (almost everyone is accepted) you will be given instructions on how to complete payment.
- June 23-July 6
- July 10-July 24
- July 27-August 10
Cost: $1200 program fee not including plane ticket, visa, or vaccinations. Meals, clean water, transportation, room and board are included in the cost. Summer trips down payment of $500 due by March 1 to secure your spot ($250 non-refundable). Last $700 due April 1. When you buy tickets everyone will fly into Chennai on the same day so I can pick everyone up at the same time. (budget $1400-$1800). We are also planning a weekend getaway to Mammalamporom a beach resort 3 hours from where we will be complete with rock carvings and caves.
Fundraising: We have a great fundraising book you receive upon sign up that has helped raise over $1000 per person to use it. Don’t let cost get in the way of experiencing a new culture and serving others. This experience also looks great on resumes, can be used for volunteer hours, and we are working on getting internship credit.
Why should you get involved: Medicine? Dental? Social Work? Sewing? Education? Girls Empowerment? Environmental? Do you have a new great idea you want to try? Fill out the preliminary application form to let me know what you are interested in and we can see how we can customize the program for you to get the most out of it! All we need from you to come on this trip is an open mind, an open heart, and a willingness to help others.
“Having a daughter is like watering a flower in the neighbour’s garden.” – A Tamil proverb.
The Indian women’s mortality rate is the second-highest in the world. More than 60 per cent of Indian women are illiterate. Every year, of 15 million baby girls in India, almost 25 per cent do not live to celebrate their 15th birthday. Adult women take in approximately 1,000 fewer calories for one day than men in India.In India, 77% of the population is able to spend only Rs 20 a day.
Chennai is ranked the safest city in India and the most traditional so be ready to dress in traditional garb, rock your bindi’s, and go shoeless. We will be in a rural village called Kasuva Village, the organization we will be working at is called Sevalaya. Check out the blog to read about our experience working here last summer and to get an idea of what you are in for and to meet the kids!
Here are a few of our current projects we would love for you to join us in:
Summer Camp/Education June 23-July 6 & July 16-August 10:
As Nelson Mandela said “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.” We will be teaching English classes, recreation, craft classes. We want to provide the kids a fun, loving, environment where they can learn new skills. On campus there is an orphanage, old age home, school, and cow sanctuary so there is always plenty to do.
Eyeglass/Medical Clinic July 10-July 24:
We already have an established eyeglass clinic (you can read about it here). We would need volunteers to help organize the children during the camp, keep records of who needs glasses and prescriptions, and help pick out the frames. If you are an optometrist or studying the eye this is a great opportunity for you to help with the screening of the people. On campus there is an orphanage, old age home, school, and cow sanctuary so there is always plenty to do.
Come with us to better other’s lives while also changing your own.