This year we are excited to announce our 2016 Volunteer Trips to INDIA click here to get started with volunteering and check out what past volunteers are saying here:
- If you are interested in helping our cause but can’t make it out of the country right now you can buy a necklace and the proceeds go towards our cause. Check them out here.
- Fill out the application form here (make sure to put the email you check, if you don’t get an email check your spam folder, that’s how I will get in contact with you for the phone interview) as soon as possible to be eligible for acceptance into the program, filling out the application doesn’t mean you have to go it’s just to make sure you qualify and to get more information.
- Are there 15-20 people in your group? You can chose your own dates and customize your tour projects at no extra cost
- Everyone needs to fill out the application form as soon as possible if interested
- Each group can accommodate up to 14 volunteers. We will be staying on campus at Sevalaya.
*After filling out the application, if accepted payment will be accepted through Paypal.
- July 9-23
Cost: $1200 program fee includes program fee. Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, clean water, transportation, room and board are included in the cost. Weekend trip transportation and accomodation included. It does not include vaccinations,flight, visa or travel insurance. Summer trips down payment of $500 due to secure your spot ($250 non-refundable). Payments can be broken up into payments.
Fundraising: This year if you refer a friend and they come with us to India you will receive $100 per person you refer that comes with us. If you get a group of friends to come with you you’ve got a lot of your trip paid for! Don’t let cost get in the way of experiencing a new culture and serving others. This experience also looks great on resumes, can be used for volunteer hours, and you can get internship credit.
Why should you get involved: Medicine? Dental? Social Work? Sewing? Education? Girls Empowerment? Environmental? Do you have a new great idea you want to try? Fill out the application form to let me know what you are interested in and we can see how we can customize the program for you to get the most out of it! All we need from you to come on this trip is an open mind, an open heart, and a willingness to help others.
Projects we are working on during these trips: Preliminary Eyeglass Screenings (anyone can do this), Days for Girls , and Teaching English. You will work on each project for 3-4 days and then rotate.
Chennai is ranked the safest city in India and the most traditional so be ready to dress in traditional garb, rock your bindi’s, and go shoeless. We will be in a rural village called Kasuva Village, the organization we will be working at is called Sevalaya. Check out the blog to read about our experience working here last summer and to get an idea of what you are in for and to meet the kids!
Here are a few of our current projects we would love for you to join us in:
As Nelson Mandela said “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.” We will be teaching English classes, recreation, craft classes. We want to provide the kids a fun, loving, environment where they can learn new skills. On campus there is an orphanage, old age home, school, and cow sanctuary so there is always plenty to do.
We already have an established eyeglass clinic (you can read about it here). We would need volunteers to help organize the children during the camp, keep records of who needs glasses and prescriptions, and help pick out the frames. If you are an optometrist or studying the eye this is a great opportunity for you to help with the screening of the people. On campus there is an orphanage, old age home, school, and cow sanctuary so there is always plenty to do.
Days for girls:
With hygiene and sanitation being some of the largest factors in the spread of disease in India we will be teaching Hygiene Seminars to girls at the school and handing out the Days for Girls packets. These will greatly improve the health of the village and keep girls in school longer. Click here for Days for Girls Website
In seeking happiness for others, you find it for yourself.